Friday, November 18, 2005

A Possibility

My chronic mental illness causes alot of misunderstanding. I think the problem is that many Christians, although well-meaning, are quite ignorant when it comes to diseases of the mind.
Anytime I've broken down and opened up about my diagnoses (Major Depression, Panic Disorder, OCD and a couple more), well-meaning Christians approach me from the viewpoint that I am spiritually immature or deficient somehow, lacking in faith, perhaps even "opressed."
I remember one hip young pastor at a hip young church who got upset with me because he thought I was in need of salvation due to my deep depression and when I explained that I was a chronically depressed Christian, he got quite righteously pissed at my lack of faith and lack of desire to turn to the Lord.
He didn't understand what it's like when you have a chemical imbalance in your brain that profoundly fucks with your feelings, down to your innermost being.
That was the worst example. The best example is that when I go into a depression, I lose interest in things that usually makes me happy (like church) and people forget about you when you don't attend. They forget quickly. I could have let them know why I would isolate myself but that would bring up the first problem (depression as spiritual deficiency). It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.
I'm not condemning anyone (except for that Pastor. he should have known better)...but I do tend to slip through the cracks. I really wish I could just give up on my expectations from organized religion.
Maybe writing this out will exorcise that demon.
I want you to understand that I'm not a "me-me-me" kind of person. I'm really not. I show up wanting to be involved rather than to be served. An inflated sense of entitlement is not the problem here.
Being chronically misunderstood or forgotten is my problem.
Ok, that is enough poking at sacred cows for one night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home