Wednesday, November 30, 2005

True Confessions

I have been reading alot of political blogs and news bits lately. I've noticed that I'll read a blog (or watch a news program) in depth if the opinions agree with my own. I'm more likely to move on if the opinions do not, especially when there's name calling and other childish stuff. I have to confess I enjoy the childish stuff just a little when it lines up with my beliefs.
I wonder if most Americans are like this? We are already pretty much decided and just look for stuff that lines up with our worldview.
Here is my point and I focus exclusively on those claiming to report the news (I mean news journalists, not bloggers, not editorials):
If the American public chooses news outlets based on their political leanings
Then How much more important is it for journalists to provide facts only and leave any opinion out of it?
Very important.
Very very important.
Not that I'm a journalism expert. I'm an average American shmuck who checks "some college" on surveys. Regardless, I always thought that the news was to be "just the facts." There is so much opinion passing for news these days, so much omission of or excessive focus on certain facts. The journalists who do this aren't doing us any favors. They aren't doing their jobs.
In case you are wondering, I'm not sure what I am politically. I tend to have more in common with the republicans but there are things like healthcare and the rights of the working class that I'm more likely to line up with the historical democratic party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home